Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Christ-centered Marriage

I have been contemplating a great deal lately how the institution of marriage is supposed to ideally function and how that relates to my faith. Tom and I are making a consicous effort to allow Christ to resonate in our relationship, not only in the things we do and say, but in our thoughts and feelings as well. Here are a few principles that I have learned along the way.

The Jesus Secret
Tom and I will be celebrating our 3 year anniversary next week. Looking back through our years together, I can honestly say that I have never been more satisfied in my marriage as I am today. Marital bliss is not the same thing as lustful passion, although passion is a necessity for marriage. A Christ-centered marriage is far more rewarding than youthful puppy-love and romance. I've been falling in love with the same person every day – over and over… for over a decade... and still, God renews us each day and it never gets old. I am married to my best friend. We finish each others sentences. Even though our attention gets swallowed up by mundane daily tasks a lot of times, there is a wonderful blessing to having complete trust and faith in God's ability to keep us together through the trails of life. There's no magic pill that guarantees you will stay together and have a wonderful union... it all boils down to sacrifice, service, loyalty, thoughtfulness, and Jesus (heavy on the Jesus part).

Reflecting the Lord
I thought I would share a private moment with my husband from our day today:

I had a meltdown today. I was finishing up the laundry and I noticed that a red sweater had bled all over the other clothes in the washer, leaving beautiful shades of pink all over our clothes. As I discovered this.Julia was pulling a whole roll of toilet paper off of the roll in the bathroom, and Griffin decided he wanted to use the facilities in the house. The phone was ringing and I was late for an appointment. Whew, I was an emotional puddle.

Tom gently laid his hand on my shoulder and simply said, "Are you okay honey?"

I sat there and he quietly waited while I regained some composure. I thought of how selfless, wonderful, and hard-working my husband is. He is a good Christian man. He loves his family and works hard to support us. I hate getting depressed and crying because in a way, I feel that it is disrespectful to him, and causes him to needlessly worry. “Yes,” I said through tears. “I’ll be OK,” I told him, “I just needed to get this out of my system. "

I love it that he doesn't try to fix me when I cry. Sometimes the biggest thing you can do for God is just listen to someone and let them unload a heavy burden. What a gift that our Father has given us free access to His throne day and night if only we would call on Him by Name and make our requests known. I love it that Tom is an instrument that God has chosen to use to show me how much HE loves me. That's what being a Christian husband or wife is all about - being the hands, feet, and heart of God.... and raising up Godly offspring to honor Him.


Recharging Your Love Battery
I have a feeling this day would have gone much better had I started out with an open Bible and some heavy prayer.
I am not such a loving person when I'm running on empty. Without the Lord, I can do nothing... including having the grace to not get upset by the divorced socks that have no mate when they come out of the dryer or the spilled apple juice on your dining room carpet. Just like eating, we need the Word to replenish our "fruits of the spirit": love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

John 15:5 - "I am the vine; you are the branches.
If a man remains in me and I in him,
he will bear much fruit;
apart from me you can do nothing."

The day seems to disintegrate if I can find no time for the Lord. Today was one of those days. We hardly got anything done. I felt like I was spinning tires all day long and yet making no ground. I was feeling very frazzled by the day's end - and like I had accomplished nothing. Go figure!


Thank The Lord For Eachother
As I look back on our decade together and our 3 years of marriage I see a great deal of imperfection, ordinarily I would focus on that, but God has given me new vision to see the good, the beautiful, and the honorable elements of our marriage. Don't get me wrong, we fight, more than I would like to fess up to actually. However,at the end of the day I know that God has chosen Tom for me and me for him. Tom is has the unique ability to show God's love to me in ways that no one else can, and I the same for him. How awesome is that! I believe that Tom is my partner in traveling along life's road with all of the pot holes, broken guard rails and slippery curves. No matter was trials come our way I know that we are grounded in seeking God's will for our lives together and we strive daily to honor Him in our attitudes and actions. I pray that God will continue to bless our marriage in the years to come as we earnestly seek His face daily.

Thank you Lord For Tom. He is the greatest gift that you have given me. I thank you for his kindness, affection, and comfort. You have created an amazing man and I am grateful that you have given me the opportunity shared him with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment