Thursday, April 29, 2010

Living Fearless In A Fearful World...

"And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water. He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” ~Matthew 14:28-30

Did you ever try to walk on water? Me neither. I think sometimes I tend to compartmentalize the accounts in the Bible as not pertaining to me. I mean really- who has had a walking on water experience? I have had my fair share on being overwhelmed and I might as well have tried to walk on water. I used to get panic stricken at least once a week; mostly when I thought about the day ahead of me, the financial struggles we face and all of the "tasks" on my to-do-list....it all just seemed like too much to handle.

I have been reading a wonderful book by Max Lucado called "Fearless". His words cut me to my core as I read them. My blinders fell and I realized that my life was not honoring the Lord or my faith in Him.

“Feed your fears, and your faith will starve. Feed your faith, and your fears will.”

If I don’t keep my eyes fixed on our Savior, I start sinking, like Peter. I need to keep my gaze on Jesus and my purpose in life for Him. I have noticed that when a period of time goes by and I do not spend my time and energy in prayer and serving my purpose as a godly wife and mother my attitude about difficult circumstances becomes bitter and irritable. Don't get me wrong. Tom and I are facing major obstacles in our life right now, but it is so comforting to know that we serve a mighty God who is able to not only change our circumstances but change our fears to joy! If we faced the difficulties that we are facing a year ago I am not sure that I would have made it. Seriously. Through the challenges and tests of faith and the failure that I have experienced in recent months God has molded me into a vessel that I believe He has always wanted me to be. Not sure how to explain it. I praise Him for his ability to take away my fears, anxiety, and feelings of insecurity to replace them with His overwhelming grace and joy. Life is good folks...

"Now, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." ~Romans 8:37-39

No comments:

Post a Comment