Saturday, January 22, 2011

Little Green Peas.

Little green peas brightly contrast our grey colored carpet. Colorful halves of Easter eggs peek out among the socks in the drawer. A carton of sour cream hides among the bright fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator drawer. Life seems to be a juxtaposition of unlikely objects in my role as mother of an adventurous, curious toddler. Miss Julia's daily life is a series of the struggles highlighting opposing pairings. From sucking her thumb and wanting to be held like a little baby to demanding to dress herself, her behavior is a study of opposites. The mother’s life too reflects the often uneasy pairing of the polished professional woman with the sometimes (most of the time) frazzled, uncertain or exasperated mother of a young child. There is I believe a lesson to be learned in these contrasts. My life is enriched by the unexpected, popping up in refreshing ways, keeping me alert and reminding me not to sit too comfortably in one place for too long. A spatula hiding under the bed? Well, why not?

I am learning to slow down, enjoy and soak it all in. I've learned to find joy in the chaos and embrace the unexpected...

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Allison! It is so funny how we find interesting things left behind by our kids. I was just noticing yesterday a piece of string on my kitchen counter (which Davis has been carrying around as his "blankie" lately--I know, weird) and dangling from the string was a little plastic horse that belongs to Claire. It looked so odd there and I knew that my 6 year old had "lassoed" the horse. It kind of made me laugh. Motherhood asks us to be mature in the most exasperating of moments and to become childlike so that we can appreciate those tender moments with our little ones. One thing it's taught me is to laugh a little more and to appreciate the humor that kids provide. This job of motherhood is quite the adventure!

    ReplyDelete